In Part one of Striking out of the Comparison Game, I stated that comparing leads to low self-esteem, jealousy and also pride. But comparisons can also lead to an ungrateful heart. Constantly comparing what you have or don’t have shows God that what He has blessed you with is not enough. And to be honest, that statement is correct, whatever you have WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH! If you had all the money in the world, all of the clout and fame, it would never be enough. You can get to the top of the mountain and still feel as empty as you were in the valley. Until God enough is for you, you will continue to feel empty inside, always looking and searching for more.
But seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. (Matthew 6:33)
When you compare your point A to someone else’s point Z, you are doing yourself a major dis-service! You can’t see the changes and the hard work they put in to get where they are now. Instead of comparing, use that energy to do just what the scripture says and seek God in all things. So here are just a few scenarios showing how you can practically incorporate seeking His kingdom to combat comparing.
- Comparing how you look (weight) to others on social media
- Pray and ask God for the self-control and discipline to stick with your weight loss journey
- Fast from social media and focus on scriptures that explain how God views you
- Comparing your Financial status
- Pray and ask God to show you how to be a good steward over your money. Trust that he will provide you with everything that you need.
- Make a budget: use a spreadsheet to list out your monthly expenses. Figure out where you can cut things and start saving!
- Comparing your relationship with God
- Pray and ask God to replenish the fire in your heart.
- Invest more time reading your bible.
When it comes to comparing, I think the root of it all is that we are just not happy with where we are, and what we have. So instead of looking to others for our answers, we should be seeking God! But to prepare you, when you seek God, he will answer. Be ready to listen for the instruction on what to do next. So, don’t be surprised when you pray about your weight loss journey and you are answered with GO EXERCISE! Taking everything to God is the only way to get out of this never-ending game of comparisons for good!